Have you ever delegated a project to someone only to find out they weren’t able to handle the task? One of the top pitfalls when delegating is choosing the wrong person for the task. This can take delegating from a life-saver to a slow and painful death.
“Delegation allows you to move from what you can do personally to what you can manage” Brian Tracy
Learning how to delegate is not only important for your personal advancement to higher management positions, but it is also vital to achieving high productivity and return on investment with your team.
Statistics have shown that people work at 50% capacity! This means that there is an opportunity to maximize on the other 50% of unused potential. All it takes is some effective delegation. Turn your passive team into a proactive team by engaging them in your mission and your potential results.
Here is a short guide on how to make sure you delegate the right task to the right person for the job!
- Match the requirements of the job to the skillset that the person has and has demonstrated.
- Make it clear you have chosen the right person; people respond better when they feel they are chosen.
- Delegate your busy work to the most task-oriented employees. Get to know who on your team needs little down time.
- Delegate project management to those who have an innate ability to lead.
- Delegate your inter-departmental liaison work to team members who have strong soft skills.
- Delegate the stuff you hate to do to your most easy-going employee. These are the employees who are happy to be asked to do something outside of their job description.
Follow these 2 final tips daily and delegation will become a breeze.
TIP 1: Make a list of what you need to delegate to free your time for higher achievement
TIP 2: Get to know your team well enough so you know to who you can distribute what tasks for maximum productivity and results.
Are you a good delegator? Let’s find out!